Certain Garmin maps become functional only after they get unlocked. For this, a specific code is required. If you are not able to unlock Garmin maps, then there is nothing to get panic.
Read the below-mentioned steps carefully as this problem is encountered on every second Garmin user screen.
Step 1: Create an account: From your web browser, go to garmin.com and click on ‘How to create my Garmin account’ link to read instructions related to signing up on the Garmin website. Enter the email id and password in the first 2 fields followed by general information.
Step 2: Register your device: Over to ‘My products’ list from the same page and click on ‘Register’. When you click on this option, you will have to enter a few more details as per instructions given on the side of the screen.
Step 3: Unlock Garmin maps: Go to ‘MyGarmin’ home screen and follow the ‘Manage maps and downloads’ path.
- Tap the ‘details’ button and see the maps that you are going to unlock on your device.
- Tap ‘Add maps with coupon code’ or product key. If you don’t know the product key, you can ask from the experts available on a toll-free number.
- Enter the name of the map or the device name you would like to unlock.
- After entering the details, it’s time to confirm the serial number of your device.
- Click ‘Unlock maps’ finally. This will unlock the maps on your device.
How to Unlock Garmin maps on a Windows system?
- First of all, download ‘Unlock files’ on the system.
- Go to ‘Garmin Basecamp’ and select the pop-up displaying on the screen.
- Go to the ‘Maps’ option.
- Tap on ‘Manage map products’ and check the ‘Unlock region’. Select your region and unlock the product online.
- Tap ‘Import’ if the files are stored in the computer drive. You will find the name of the file having extension .ucx.
- Go to ‘Downloads’ and click the ‘Unlock file’.
- Restart Basecamp on your system and the device gets unlocked.
Unlocking Garmin maps on Mac
- From the Mac system, download unlocks files and go to the ‘Garmin map manager’.
- Tap ‘File’
- Click ‘Import unlock code’.
- From the download folder, go to the ‘Unlock file’.
- Click the ‘Install’ option.
- Restart your Garmin base camp and the maps are successfully unlocked now.
How to get rid of ‘Can’t unlock maps’ error from Garmin GPS device
If the files downloaded are either corrupted or incomplete, then you may get trouble unlocking the maps. You can check if there is an active internet connection available on the computer or not.
If you are dealing with the same issue on your Garmin device, then you can try Garmin express update on your windows or Mac PC wherever it is installed. Most of the time, the updates get auto-installed on your device. If it doesn’t, then you can check manually and do the same.
For information related to the current version of Garmin Express software or map updates, you can contact our experts.